Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Afraid of a little dirt?

I am kind of a girly girl.  (Okay, that is a HUGE understatement!  I am a serious girly girl!)  I like pink.  I love anything Lilly (and if you don't know who and what Lilly Pulitzer is, we need to talk!)  I like love monograms.  I think EVERYTHING should be monogrammed, and I do mean everything, right down to your underwear! 
My close friends and husband and family, okay pretty much everyone, all call me a princess.  And I am totally okay with that.  In fact, I have a princess crown.  A fact that I am not even remotely embarrassed by, because a princess should  have a crown!
Now that I have laid the foundation, let me tell you what I did last weekend.  A MUD RUN and OBSTACLE COURSE!  (Yes, I have the pictures to prove it and the the bruises on my body!)
 Let me tell you how this came to be... a couple of years ago, some friends did a run called the "Warrior Dash." It's a muddy, fire jumping, overall dirty 5k. I told them no thanks, but thanks for the invite.  I mean, I like to run, but when it's all said and done, I just want to be sweaty, not muddy, ya know?
So, for the life of me, I have no idea what came over me, but in an obvious moment of weakness, I told a friend of mine that I would do this run called the Down and Dirty with her!  Had I lost my mind?  I mean, I'm not afraid of dirt, people . . . I just prefer to be fashionable and clean when I'm working out.  If I'm gonna get dirty, it'll be riding a 4 wheeler (and yes, I do that too!)
Anyway,as the date got closer, I was questioning my sanity, seriously.  But I would not back out with my friend. So, on the day of the run, I picked her up bright and early, and we headed to the race.  The more we saw as we passed the course, the more knots I got in my stomach, and the more it churned . . .mud pits? rock wall? slippery soap wall? hurdles?  OH MY!
Can I just say that when it was all said and done, I was so proud of us! I pushed myself through things I did not think I had the strength to accomplish!  I am glad I did this run with Steph, and when everyone thought this girlie girl would never do something like this (myself included) I did it!
Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to do this again anytime soon.  I will stick to my normal races.  Probably.  I think.  Until next year? 
From my side of the fence, I'm glad I took a risk and did something out of my comfort zone.  Let's see, what should I do next?  Maybe I'll  . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment