Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Some are Called to Go; Some are Called to Give

I want to tell you guys about an incredible woman today.  Her name is Sammie Smimmo, and on January 1, 2013, she will leave Houston, Texas, and begin a journey that will take her through 65 cities, with stops at 52 Homeless Shelters in 52 Weeks.  A documentary of her journey will be filmed and book will be written that will share this amazing look at the homeless in our nation.

Her purpose?  To take the message of Hope to people who seemingly have no hope.  And to raise awareness for the homeless situation in this country.  (Did you know that more than 50% of the homeless in our nation are women and children?  I am ashamed to say that I used to think that homeless people were all drunks or drug addicts. Not true, I have learned).

Sammie's story is pretty amazing.  She went from being a millionaire to being homeless, all in just a few short months.  Her husband, a drug addict and philander left her after 16+ years of marriage.  Depression, of course, took over, and one night she took herself to the hospital, thinking she was having a heart attack.  In reality, it was just a panic attack, but while there, they discovered a lump in her breast.  A lump that turned out to be cancer.

Sammie lost it all.  Her marriage, her business, her health, and her home.  She went from living in a palatial home to living in a tool shed with no running water (no bathroom, no shower, all while struggling through brutal chemotherapy!)

During that time of incredible personal loss, Sammie discovered a deep love for Jesus.  And He called her to work with the homeless.  Since that day, she has worked 7 days a week (even during chemo and the 17 cancer related surgeries she had to have afterward!) feeding and loving the Homeless.

When asked why she is going on this journey across the country, she said simply, "People on the street need to know that they matter.  They need to know that someone knows they exist; that God knows they exist.  And they need to know that there is hope for them.  I'm going because God told me to go."

I want to help Sammie on this incredible journey.  There are many ways each of us can help.  Some can give money.  Some can host Sammie when she is in your city.  And I've thought of another incredible way you can help!  Sammie will be living out of her car and providing food and Bibles out of her car for the THOUSANDS of people she will meet on this journey.  And to do that, she needs a way to be organized and to carry all of her stuff.  (ah hem . . . throat clear noise . . .)  I just HAPPEN to be a 31 Gifts Consultant and we just HAPPEN to sell a product that will both help Sammie get organized and to carry all her stuff.

This is where you come in!  I have a list on my website of all the totes that Sammie needs.  But we have to do this fast because as I said, she's leaving on January 1, 2013!  If you want to help, go to  www.mythirtyone.com/catherinehenry, click on events and then Sammie. There you can purchase one of the organizing utility totes or the large utility totes.  And, just to be sure you guys don't think I'm doing this to promote my own business, I'm giving 100%, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of my profit to Sammie's trip!

From my side of the fence, I see a big chance to make a big difference in the life of someone else.  Some of us are called to go, some are called to give.  I'm glad Sammie's going.  And I want to join her by giving!  Will you join me?

Cathy

4 comments:

  1. You just gave me goosebumps... you are such a generous person with a huge heart! I applaud you and what you are doing for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COunt me in, Cathy! I'll order a tote for Sammie. Is there any way we can include a note with our tote? (that rhymed. tee her! I didn't mean it to!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, if you want to include a personal note for Sammie you can email it to me or mail it to me and I will stick it in with the tote you ordered before I deliver them to Sammie. Great idea CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cathy! I'm working with Sammie here in Houston, TX to organize her 52 week, cross-country schedule! It's people like you who remind me of why we're doing what we're doing. Your generosity is incredibly inspirational!! I pray God places the desires of your heart on the hearts of others. The title of your message above is so very true!! God is AMAZING in giving us all a task to serve his Kingdom; "Some he calls to go and some he calls to give!" Thank you for sharing Sammie's story! God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete