Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Traditions




So, as I was having a conversation about holiday traditions with a friend of mine the other day, she asked me if I was going to blog about what we do for Thanksgiving, and I thought, “Well, I guess I should.”

I mean, that’s kind of the point of a blog isn’t it?  Giving you all the cruicial details of my life and family and life habits and traditions and dinner menus and such. 

So as I sat down and thought through our family holiday traditions, I was really overwhelmed by how much I love my family.  I know this isn’t a surprise to any of you, and it’s certainly not a surprise to me, but sometimes I am just overcome with how blessed I am to have the family I have.

Really, it’s what I love so much about this time of year.  And of course we have traditions we cherish.  For starters, no Thanksgiving Day is complete without the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade. I love the music and dancing.  It makes me stop and think about ALL I really have to be thankful for, and I realize once again how much the Lord has blessed me.

Then we almost always go to my oldest brother's home. My brother smokes a turkey and ham.  The girls, (my mom, sister in laws, and myself) make all the sides.  (of course we all have our certain ones that we ALWAYS make.) The men, silly boys, always ask for the same thing EVERY year...strawberry "salad" (which consists of jello, whipped topping, pretzels, and strawberries), deviled eggs, dressing, (yummy) spinach casserole, squash casserole, and sweet potato souffle.  These are the things we MUST have!  (Don' t even think of  subtracting something from the menu or the men will revolt!)

It seems our large family likes tradition, even when it’s with the food!

Another tradition we have is that we always draw names for Christmas, on Thanksgiving.   Once our family got so big, it was just easier to draw names, and it makes it more personal we have found over the years.


Of course there is the tradition of the lighting of the great Christmas tree in Atlanta. We don’t ever miss it! 

From my side of the fence, I have to say that I just love tradition, and I love the holidays! 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours~
Cathy



 Shhh. I am adding something
 (don't worry, I am not removing one 
thing from the menu!) hor d'oeuvres, 
something I found on pinterest, http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/jalapeno-bacon-and-cream-cheese-bites/ 

I am so excited about this!  I will let you know what kind of reviews my family gives!

1 comment:

  1. BTW, my family LOVED the new hor d'oeuvre!! I am so happy! I am thinking it might be a new staple at parties and gatherings because it was delish and super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete